Thursday, September 2, 2010

Engagement Trip - Day 3 - THE Day!

   It was 6am when I reached over to hit the snooze button. I was so excited! We actually got up right away and got ready. I packed us veggie sammys for lunch from some supplies we got on the way up to West Yellowstone. The cooler was packed and we were dressed for adventure!
Kelly was our waitress. She was so nice from the second we came down the gnarly steps. When we sat down in the dining room, again the same rustic decor, we overlooked a small pond with a giant metal moose in the brush along the edge – so cool! I knew we would have to get a picture of him. The mountains on the horizon were almost purple. The meadow was green and out back were about ten horses grazing, unreal. When we ordered all side dished, Kelly was a little confused. She looked at us like we had 3 heads, we then explained we were vegetarians and a light went off in her head. She offered to have oatmeal ready every morning on our stay. She was so sweet. We had a great meal, even without eggs or meat. Eric had yummy hash browns and an english muffin and I had delicious biscuits with jam and honey. Kelly was afraid we didn't eat enough, so she sent us on our with with two oranges.
   We got settle in the Imprezza and hit the park. Eric drove straight to Artist's Point. We knew it was a big attraction, so we wanted to get there as early as possible and if you get there early, a rainbow is at the base of the falls. Onto the canyon! The canyon is knows for its two large water falls, Upper and Lower. The canyon itself is supposed to be breathtaking. I was really excited today. Eric was also. He has been taking pictures the entire time. This area of the park should give us a few to hang on the walls. We did stop along the way for animal sightings. At different pull-offs we saw a huge buck with large antlers and some fat bison. The bison was so close I could pick his nose. Seeing the animals just grazing and just living was so cool. I said they should have a T-shirt with “This ain't no zoo, its Yellowstone”. Some idiot lady got out of her car next to a bison. I wanted to videotape just in case she got hit by one. Invisible boundaries people!
  We made it to Artist's Point in a good amount of time even with construction and animal stops. We parked, jumped out of the car, quick potty break (not great, plastic toilet over a whole, but gets the job done) and then we started down a path with large stone railings. You could hear the Falls, it was so loud. It was breathtaking when we saw the water fall – Lower Falls (bigger of the 2). It was just unbelievable. This waterfall was massive. It was flanked by yellow stone walls (hence yellowstone). There were massive amounts of water crashing down. The water was turquoise, blue & green. The mist that got kicked up at the bottom created a rainbow. At times you could see two of them...a double rainbow! :-) We stood on a concrete perch over the canyon and took lots of pics. It was so quiet even with all of the other people. The canyon was behind us. It was filled with light. The sun reflected off the different colored rocks. Red, yellow, brown and white stones that created this massive canyon was like nothing i've ever seen. There really isn't a way to describe it. I'm sure the pictures Eric took will be awesome, but not even a picture could do it justice. Eric and I took some time and stole a few private moments looking over the most beautiful landscape I've ever seen. We snapped back into reality. We went to another trail to see the base of the Lower Falls. Uncle Tom's trail, which I kept calling Uncle Tom's cabin, not right at all. The trail ends at 300 of the steepest steps ever. It was pretty nerve racking. The steps weren't even in perfect condition, some were bent and crooked. We headed down and saw some amazing views. The power of the water hitting the rocks was crazy. It was beautiful and terrifying all together. We took a couple of pics and heading up the scary steps. We had to stop at each landing because it was so hard! Elevation changes, not just us being out of shape. We've been blaming everything on the elevation change, out of breath easy, low tolerance for walking and weight gain!
   We got back to the car, hot sweaty and ready for more. We then took a short ride to the North rim of the canyon to see the Upper Falls. It was really pretty. It was smaller, but the way it cascaded down was really cool. The water was the color of jade as it went over the falls, the water would break away from the rush of water and would sparkle in the light. At the bottom there was a rainbow, so cool. The weather was great, 70's, not too hot, not too cold. It was a perfect day. The skies here are so blue, from an intense blue to light blue. So lucky to be here.
  We walked back through the parking lot looking for a trail head that lead to a short hike to Crystal Falls. We found a tiny waterfall compared to the behemoths we just saw, but I liked it, it was still very pretty.  On the way out we passed a Bear warning sign and had to stop for a goofy pic by it (I know, so weird). I was making a scared face, but really thats how I was feeling, bear spray, check! The park was really busy so we drove past most of the points to see the falls and decided to work our way back starting with Inspiration Point. We drove up to one of the prettiest views of the canyon we've seen. Its really amazing how the sun lights up the walls and so many different color rocks. We sat for a few minutes and took it all in. We went on a short walk along the North Rim trail. It was like out of a movie or what a scene from a fairy tale would look like. We were by ourselves most of the time, every now and again we would pass a couple of people. This walk was so nice, I was shocked more people weren't doing it. They were missing out. To the left was the canyon and to the right was forest, best of two worlds. We walked a little farther, Eric had to pee, he started to go and all of a sudden there was a parade of people. It was so funny! He was really happy he was wearing the hiking pants that wick water away, ha ha. Next stop, Brink of Lower Falls, it was packed. It was a view of the Lower Falls. To get there you had to walk down a bunch of steep switchbacks. Down was no problem but up was gonna suck. There were a ton of people. We made it down fairly quick. There were two landing. The first had an Asian couple holding their 6 month old child over the railing, over the water. I was about to punch them. I was so furious, Eric suggested we go down to the next. It was a pretty view and worth the walking. We made our way up the strenuous switchbacks, elevation change made it worse! (really!)
   Working our way back up the North Rim trail we stopped at Lookout Point. There were two different views here. One of them you walked out on a perch above the canyon to see the Lower Falls and the second was Red Rock Point. Red Rock Point was just like the crazy steep trail we just took. But what the hell, the Lower Falls was awesome to watch and no one was going on this trail because they were all probably tired from the same one we just did. So it was a great day and we thought we should see everything we can.
 So here we go, down a mile of steep steps and dirt. We made it down to a crazy view of the falls. It is almost directly in front of the falls because of the bend in the river caused by this section of red rock walls. It was just me and Eric for a moment before another older couple came down. It was so private. I was leaving against the railing, watching the water hit the base of the canyon. Eric called my name, I turned to him and then it happened. To my great shock and completely caught off guard he got down on one knee. He pulled a little black velvet box with a gold rim out of his picked. My hands flew over my mouth. Then I started my own waterfall, I was crying like a baby. He asked me to marry him. I was not saying a word. He stood up and I gave him a hug and kissed his neck, still no noise, just head shaking. I stepped back then opened the box. Inside was my engagement ring. It sparkled more than any other ring I've ever seen. I took the ring from the box. The center stone is round covered in perfect facets. The band splits at each side and then comes back to form the band, its covered in diamonds. On the side of the setting, a row of diamonds cradles the center stone. No words could describe how I was feeling at that moment. I was shaking when I pulled the ring out and put it on my finger. I was crying and shaking my head. Eric said, “Is that a yes?”. Finally I was able to make sound again, “Yes, of course, yes!” With that we hugged and kissed. I kept saying “I can't believe you just did this!” The Lower Falls was behind us. The couple took a picture for us. They told us they just celebrated their 48 year wedding anniversary and wished us the best of luck. I was still only speaking in short bursts. I always pictured myself being a little cooler about this. Nope. I was a reck. I composed myself. He told me everything on the way back up. His mom and my dad were the only 2 that knew, both sworn to secrecy (Lucky for my dad or my mom and sister would have killed him). Barb went with him a few trips to pick it out. She actually picked it up when it came in because Eric was working. She babysat the ring. She told Eric she checked on it every day it was at her house to make sure it was still there. He then called my dad over while I was in Florida under false pretenses that he needed help taking the bags down for this trip. When my dad got there Eric told him he wanted to ask me to marry him. My dad kept saying “I can't believe you just told me that”. I'm sure Barb was equally shocked when Eric asked her to go help him do some shopping, when she found out what kind of shopping Eric said she was so excited. And that was where the secret started. I was so happy my dad knew. I was in shock the whole walk up, periods crying and laughing, just in shock. Whoa. So crazy. This place was so awesome. I am so excited. As we walked I kept looking down at my ring, shock. I am so lucky! The minute we got to the top of the steps and opened the car door I grabbed my phone. I couldn't wait to call my mom and sister! The fact that my dad knew and didn't tell a soul was impressive. Eric wanted to call his sister and Bar as much as I wanted to tell my girls (Trish & mom). Then I was trying to figure out who I would call next or if I would wait. No cell service! Totally bummed! We went to turn the car on and move and I was still in la la land. I couldn't focus. I said I was gonna have a problem doing anything and everything for the rest of the day.
   We drove to Grand View. It was nice. The canyon is so quiet except for the crashing water. It's almost trance like. You could sit for hours and just listen. After all of the excitement we were starving. We drove around Lake Yellowstone for the best place to eat lunch. I grilled Eric in the car about all of the details of when and how and who knew we were getting engaged. My cheeks hurt from smiling. Eric's looked just as sore. As we drove it was back to our animal hunting. The backdrop around the lake looked like a picture from a movie. The sky was so blue and the mountains filled the horizon. The snow capped giants looked as if they were covered in a purple haze. The water in the lake was so blue. It looked so calm; steady ripples across the water and on top of the shore.
  We found our spot along the lake, a dead tree sitting in the sand on the shore. The site was just breathtaking and me trying to describe it wouldn't do it any good. Lake Yellowstone Inn & Lodge was across the water. It looked very vintage, yellow with white trim. We ate our lunch between laughing and me crying. I was just so blown away. Still no cell phone service. I had been engaged for like 2 hours and I couldn't tell anyone. We headed around the lake towards Yellowstone Lake Lodge. The lodge was very nostalgic looking. Everyone was old along with the old building. It was very pretty inside but I don't think I would ever stay there. The view was incredible right on the lake. A yellow extended woody tour bus was parked out front, it looked like a post card. Eric and I called each other fiance and it was really funny. I of course could not stop looking down at my left hand! Still no cell service. We bought a few things in the gift shop. The clerks asked me how my day was and I of course told him we just got engaged. Those people that worked I the store were the first people that knew. It made it so real telling someone. I just was dying for cell service. We had so much to see still.
   We went to the Norris Geyser Basin. Um, I can say two things about Norris, #1 the earth is crazy and the natural geysers and springs are awesome to look at, #2 this place smelt like the worst rotten egg that had been left in the sun then boiled again to make rotten egg steam. The place looked like it was either prehistory or post devastation catastrophe. The steam that was rising from a lot of the spring and geysers was mixed with different gases found below the surface of the earth. They stunk! It was hot rotten omelet steam and to make nature even more gross, it gives out random and occasional droplets of water that hit you as you walked by! Hot egg droplets! So gross. I wish it wasn't so gross because they are so cool to watch. Not all of them were smelly but this place seemed to have the most in one place. As Eric snapped pics I ran along the walk, I wanted to get out as fast as I could. We still had another loop to do but I refused. It really didn't seam to be bothering any other people, but I thought it was insanely gross. We stopped at a gift store and I bought a National Park passport. At each park across the country they have their own stamp. I love it. The man said each park has a regular and a secret stamp. He gave me both. I was so happy and I probably smelt like egg gas. Eric and I decided all farts from now on will be known as a Norris. So gross!
   We heard the South Rim of the canyon was the best place to watch the sunset. We drove the 40 mins back looking for animals on the way. It was so funny how the bison just walk in the road or lay in the grass as the cars drive right by. These things are massive! We came to a group of cars stopped and there was a tiny coyote in the road, he was smaller than Carmine. He was just chillin out and then took off in a slow walk down the road. We took like 15 pictures. Its so exciting seeing an animal. We had to change the lens, turn it on, park or slow down, all before the guy takes off, its fun! We stopped at the Canyon Village General Store and bought a small bottle of champagne and two glasses.
  We made it to Artist's Point with a few minutes to spare. Still no service! We were gonna try to make it down the south rim trail to Sublime point, but we would have missed the sunset. The sun fell right behind the Lower Falls (the one we got engaged in front of). The canyon looked more amazing then we'd ever seen it. We popped the top of the bottle, well actually it was a twist off and it took us like 5 minutes to figure it out. A couple took our picture and congratulated us.  We then watches the falls for a few minutes when another set of people walked by us trying to take a picture of our champagne glasses. They were funny. They kept having us change locations for the best shot. It was so fun and exciting. It was the best way to end the best day ever! It was 8 o'clock, it os our favorite time in the park as all of the animals come out. We had a long drive back to W. Yellowstone and we were hungry. We got engaged around 12:30pm and no one knew yet.  Every 10 mins I would look at my phone, checking for service. We both were exhausted. We decided only to pull over if we saw an animal we didn't have a pic of yet. I just wanted to get close to home as fast as possible to get some service.
   I called my mom, I asked her what finger the ring goes on because Eric and I didn't know. She started screaming. It was so crazy. I again started crying. She was so happy and started yelling for dad. When I told her Eric told daddy and swore him to secrecy, which she said saved his life or he would have been a dead man. I called Trish, she didn't even say hello, she asked if I was okay. It was 11 o'clock there, she thought I got hurt or malled by a bear. I told her I was better than alright, I was engaged. She then started yelling. I told her the story and to go downstairs because mom was freaking out to. I called my mom back and my dad was yelling to me in the background. Eric called Barb but she didn't answer and then Jen. She said she had a feeling. He called his dad and was excited. We just sat down to eat at a small bistro in town. We were being rude, but I didn't care. I think people caught on after a few minutes. Barb called back and we talked. I am so lucky to get a mother-in-law like her. Eric is lucky for her also. I was trying to decide if I should call the girls or not. I knew Chrissy and Gina would be sleeping for work and would tell them tomorrow. I texted Mo and Jodi. They both answered back so I called them to tell them the news. It was a lot of fun. They both said they knew he was gonna do it. I sent a pic of the ring (at their requests) to mom, Trish, Mo & Jodi. Finally I could eat. I also tried to call my bro, but just texted him when he didn't answer. I was so hungry and the food was so good. We went back home and fell asleep. Of course Eric tucked the trout in to freak me out! Creepy ass fish! We were engaged! Holy cats!
Wait!!! I forgot!
  While driving on the way down to the lake a ton of cars were pulled over. Animal! We knew it was gonna be a good one because a ranger was there. It looked like the entire park was there. We jumped out of the car and grabbed the gear. Holy crap! It was one of the best things we had ever seen on our animal hunts. A momma grizzly bear and 3 cubs! They were snacking on the plants about 150 yards away. It was so precious. We took a million pictures. It was so rare to even see a bear, but to see a bear with cubs is even less likely. Every now and then one would stand and you hear the shutters of a hundred cameras go off, including Erics. I had my Binos. It was incredible to see. The momma and her cubs started climbing the hill to the left of the ridge we were on. The hill was covered with green and golden grass. The sun was warm and the sky was so blue it was like a clip form NatGeo documentary on bears. It was a highlight from our trip, next to getting engaged to the person I love. Eric said the bears was a good omen, I agree! An amazing sight to the next amazing step to our futures. I also think it was good we didn't get malled from an overprotective momma bear.

No comments: